Saturday 3 August 2013

Inspiration Comes In Many Packages

This morning as I was travelling on the bus, a woman captured my attention. There are some who would say she was heavily tattooed, but the designs were so intricate and beautifully coloured, I would hesitate to use that comment. The first thing that struck me as she stepped on the bus was her straight black hair with a fringe of stunning red. It looked amazing! She sat on the seat in front of me.
I couldn't help but admire the fine detail of the tattoo on the back of her neck. I could see there was writing there, but she was wearing a collar so I couldn't quite see what it said.
Curiosity got the better of me and I tapped her on the shoulder and asked her if she would mind telling me what it said. When she turned to me, I could see many piercings on her face, but they were so delicate looking, they didn't portray arrogance, anger or any of those other emotions people get piercings for. She told me it said 'Forever Me'.
I sat and pondered on that for a while and tapped her on the shoulder again. 'Would you mind telling me why you chose to have that particular phrase on your neck? Is it because you have had bad experiences in your life and found you can't rely on anyone?'
She gave me a beautiful smile and said 'No, all my life family and friends have asked me when I'll change, insisting this is just a phase I am going through. I tell them this is who I am.  My tattoo is about being forever me, being true to who I am and not conforming to what is expected of me.'
What an inspiration to us all! How often have we all wanted to do something out of the ordinary and taken on board other people's belief systems or worried about the response friends and family will have? How many of us have forgotten how to be true to ourselves, because society's laws expect us to behave in a certain way at a certain age? When I turned 35 I was told it was time to cut my hair short, because women over that age didn't 'look good' with long hair. Good enough reason to grow my hair, I thought.
So today's question is: Are you being true to yourself, or are you merely a shadow of you - someone elses perception of who you are? Or are you like that inspirational woman I met on the bus and being who you are, wherever you are? (and yes I know that's more than one question!)
Sometimes we need to look deep inside to discover if the reason why we don't feel as 'divine' and 'perfect' as we are. Is it the situation we are in? Is it the people we hang around with? Or is it just because we are stifling our true selves because we are 'being' what is expected of us?
Is it time for you to 'Be'
With Love, Respect & Integrity
Cherie xx


No comments:

Post a Comment